The 4 Foundations of Mindfulness
The Insight Mindfulness Meditation Retreat will offer periods of sitting and walking meditation, as well as practice discussions. The daily talks and meditation instructions will emphasize steadying and quieting the mind, opening the heart, and developing clarity, wisdom, and depth of practice.
We will be exploring how to deepen and broaden our practice and understanding of mindfulness with reference to the teaching called ‘The 4 Foundations of Mindfulness’ (‘The 4 Ways of Establishing Mindfulness’). Through the direct practices of the four foundations of mindfulness we will learn how the essence of these wisdom teachings intersect and inform all mindfulness-based approaches.
Noble Silence will be respected during the retreat.
To facilitate the inner work the retreat will be in silence from the evening of Day 1 to the morning of the last day. This will offer a precious opportunity to combine the warm support of ‘community’ with the spaciousness that silence creates.
Who is this Retreat For?
This retreat is suitable for anyone wanting to deepen their mindfulness practice. This will be especially of interest to those teaching or aspiring to teach mindfulness. This retreat also fulfils prerequisites for mindfulness-based teacher training.
About the teacher
Bob Stahl, PhD is an American meditation teacher. He is on faculty at the Brown University Mindfulness Center and formerly at the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Bob teaches MBSR Teacher Trainings and Insight Meditation retreats worldwide and is the former guiding teacher at Insight Santa Cruz and a visiting teacher at Spirit Rock and Insight Meditation Society.
He formerly lived in a Buddhist monastery for eight and a half years and later founded eight Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) programs in medical centers in the SF Bay Area. He is co-author of five books: A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook, Living With Your Heart Wide Open, Calming the Rush of Panic, A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook for Anxiety, and MBSR Everyday.
The retreat program will be published later.
As a guide, the retreat will begin on Saturday 31 August at 6.00 pm and will end on Thursday 5 September at 12.00 pm and lunch will then be served.
Frequently Asked Questions
I don't have any meditation experience. May I attend the retreat?
The retreat is open to anyone. All practices will be introduced and instructions will be offered. However, for most of the time the practice will be silent and therefore the retreat is particularly suitable for those who has already an established practice.
May I attend only 1 day (or 2 day, 3 days)?
Participation to the entire retreat is required.
May I attend the retreat arranging a different accommodation?
We highly suggest to attend the retreat in its residential format. This to allow a continuity of the practice, to support the community and maintain the Noble Silence. Nevertheless we understand the different need, and for this reason we have allocated a number of spots for those that have the possibility to arrange a different accommodation. In this case, we still ask to attend the full retreat, to be present from the very first practice in the morning to the last one. It won’t be possible to arrange different meals, and so it will be necessary to pay for the meals during the retreat.
Which language will be used during the retreat?
The retreat will be offered in English with Italian translation.
Is it possible to arrive earlier or stay after the retreat ends?
Yes, in this case please, contact the Terme San Marco directly.
What should I bring?
- We advise to bring comfortable clothes. In the meditation hall we will be without shoes.
- Given the season, it may be useful to bring mosquito repellent.
- A number of meditation cushions will be available. If you prefer to bring your own cushion, feel free to do so.
- The room has sheets, towels, blankets.
Is there wireless and mobile phone connection?
Yes, but usage of mobile phones and internet is not allowed during the 5 days of the retreat.
How to get there?
The closest airport is Venice Airport.
- For those traveling on the A4 Turin-Trieste motorway Padova Ovest exit, continue along the western ring road (Corso Australia) until exit n°6 for Abano, then take the road to Abano, at the roundabout take the first exit on the right then follow the signs for Circonvallazione Ovest – Monteortone/stadio, after taking via Monteortone, after walking for about 500 metres, you arrive at the Hotel San Marco.
- For those arriving from the A13 motorway (Bologna-Padua) Terme Euganee exit, follow signs for Abano Terme, continue towards Circonvallazione Ovest – Monteortone/stadium, take via Monteortone, after approximately 500 meters you arrive at the Hotel San Marco.
- The closest train station is Terme Euganee in Montegrotto, on the Bologna-Padua line.
- Otherwise Padua station, on the Milan-Venice line. Right from the station square, buses on lines A, M, T and AT leave every hour for Abano and Montegrotto (journey time 30-45 minutes). Both stations have taxi service.
Is care sharing available?
Closer to the Retreat time, we will create a file to facilitate contacts for those who need car sharing.
Saturday 31st August 2024
Thursday 5th September 2024
The retreat will take place at Hotel Terme San Marco; an Augustinian monastery in Monteortone, Padua. The address is, Via Santuario 130, Abano Terme PD
The number of places is limited, we suggest to confirm your interest to attend as soon as possible.
To register for the retreat you must complete the request below. You will receive an email with the registration form. After your application has been accepted, you will receive an email with instructions to proceed with payment within two weeks.
€ 400,00 Early bird by March 31st
€ 500,00 – From April 1st
Accommodation is available in single, double or triple rooms with private bathrooms. All meals are included in the price. The total cost of room and board for five nights is:
- € 367,50 in single room, including tax
- € 342,50 in double room, including tax
- € 317,50 in triple room, including tax
- The cost for room and board will be paid directly to Terme San Marco.
- The room has sheets, towels, blankets.
- Individual rooms are limited and will be offered on a first registration basis.
To reserve your room, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
2 scholarships will be offered for a 50% reduction on the retreat fee. The scholarship relates exclusively to the withdrawal fee. The accommodation must be paid in full. To apply for the scholarship, you can send an email by March 31st to email@example.com and include:
- Letter of motivation to participate in the retreat
- Resume that includes training and professional experience, possible teaching experience, training in the area of mindfulness
- Why you are applying for financial support.
- Cancellations by April 31st – full refund less €80 administration fee
- Cancellation from April 31st to June 30th – 70% refund.
- Cancellation from 31 April to 31 July – 50% refund
- Cancellation after July 31st – no refund will be given.
If the event is canceled for an unforeseen reason, Itaca Mindfulness will refund 100% of the registration fee, but will not be responsible for any other costs (e.g. travel and accommodation).
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org